This looked so good that I thought I would share it with all of you and at the same time keep it here for safekeeping. This is Wen Zientek's of ivillage.com answer to a question from a reader.
- 2 tablespoons organic low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 chili peppers, minced (to taste)
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- scallion, cut on the bias (garnish)
- salsa (garnish)
- nonfat sour cream (garnish)
- In a medium-heavy skillet, saute the onions, garlic and peppers until soft in the 2 tablespoons chicken broth.
- Add the chili peppers and tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes more until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the chicken and stir well to combine.
- Spray a cold skillet with the nonstick spray and heat over medium heat.
- Place a tortilla in the pan and sprinkle with 1/8 cup cheese.
- Add about a quarter of the chicken mixture and top with another 1/8 cup cheese.
- Cover with another tortilla and cook for two to three minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip the quesadilla over and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cut into edges.
- Keep warm while frying the remaining quesadillas.
- Serve with salsa, scallions, and fat-free sour cream.