Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A hearty one-dish meal that's healthy, too. Chicken, lots of vegetables, and a biscuit crust. From "Looneyspoons".
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup reduced-fat chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced potatoes, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onions and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes (use oil or cooking spray).
- Add broth, potatoes, carrots and beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 12 minutes, partially covered.
- Potatoes should be a bit undercooked.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine condensed soup and flour in a small bowl.
- Add to vegetables, along with chicken, parsley, basil, thyme and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Pour into a casserole dish (I use a 9 x 9 pyrex baking dish).
- Prepare biscuit crust.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sage and salt.
- Cut in butter or margarine with a pastry blender until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk.
- Form the dough into a ball, adding a bit more flour if too sticky.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to the size where it will fit the top of your casserole dish.
- Place dough on top of chicken mixture.
- Prick dough with a fork several times.
- Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.