Recipe by eknecht
I whipped this up for dinner the other night- Dh was impressed enough to request we have it again. Posted here for safekeeping. I first served it over 3-cheese tortellini, it ws also good the next day with whole wheat penne.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces chicken broth
- 1 (29 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cups fresh Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- cooked pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle chicken breast pieces with Italian seasoning, then add to pan. Cook, stirring occaisionally, until chicken pieces are no longer pink on the surface, about 8 minute
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add onions and peppers to pan, cook 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until garlic, onions, and peppers are soft.
- Add chicken stock and let cook down and reduce by half.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, salt, sugar, and basil.
- Cook, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend.
- Add in the cooked chicken, baby spinach leaves and parmesan cheese, cook an additional 5 minutes, and serve warm over your favorite pasta.