Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I can't vouch for the authenticity of this 'italian' dish but it sure is delicious! Skinless chicken breast and the use of cooking spray help this dish to be low in fat. It can be served over pasta or without for a lower carb option.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat chicken broth
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- Cut chicken breast into about 1 inch chunks and add salt. Coat a pan with non stick spray and brown the chicken.
- In a separate pot, coat with cooking spray and add chopped onion and bell pepper until translucent.
- Once chicken is browned and the onion- bell pepper mixture is translucent, transfer chicken into pot.
- Pour the chicken broth into the hot pan in which you cooked the chicken until all the brown bits lift from the pan then transfer the liquid to the pot with the chicken and vegetables.
- Add the can of stewed tomatoes, freshly minced garlic, dried oregano, and dried basil to the pot and set it to simmer.
- Brown the mushrooms then add to the pot.
- Let simmer for about 15-20 minutes then enjoy.