Recipe by bluemoon downunder
This is one of several recipes in the October 2005 issue of the Australian magazine ‘Delicious’ in an article featuring food that children will find delicious and which is therefore ideal for serving at children’s parties. I have also posted Open Roast Pumpkin & Feta Pies. And if you're looking for other tasty variations on sausage rolls, many of which will also appeal to children, you may like to try my Huey's Lamb Sausage Rolls, Chicken and Ricotta Sausage Rolls, Pork and Cranberry Sausage Rolls or Sausage Rolls.
Top Review by I'mPat
We just loved this, I halved the recipe and got 24 mini sausage rolls which were just a right size, I had mine with sweet chilli sauce, the DS with tomatoe and the DM as is - I ended up with 6 left over which the DM as claimed for lunch. I baked these at 200C fan forced for 5 minutes and then 20 minutes at 180C but would up this by 5 to 10 degreese to give a slighly more crispier effect and will grease the baking tray better. Thank you bluemoon downunder and a change for me NOT made for a tag game.
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 500 g chicken breasts, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten egg
- 1 extra lightly beaten egg
- salt, to taste
- 1 zucchini, finely grated
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1⁄2 onion, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- tomatoes or sweet chili sauce, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Process the crumbs, chicken and unbeaten egg in a food processor until well combined, place in a bowl, mix well with vegetables and herbs, then season to taste.
- Place 1 pastry sheet on a floured surface and halve. Spoon an eighth of the mixture lengthways along the centre of each piece, fold 1 edge of the pastry over and tuck in beside the filling, then fold over the other side to make a roll, pressing down lightly to seal. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling, cut the rolls into 3cm pieces and cut two small incisions into each roll to prevent splitting.
- Place the rolls onto baking sheets and chill for 30 minutes, brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the rolls are lightly browned and cooked through.
- Serve with sauce on the side.