Recipe by cowbells27
This is a little healthier version. I'm not sure who gave me the recipe, but it is quick and easy, and my nephew who is 5 will eat it.
Top Review by nethope
Quick and easy! I made a half-batch (and still didn't have quite enough broccoli, so I added green beans for most of the rest and a small handful of corn) without the corn flakes topping, without baking. DH said it was a very tasty broccoli cheese soup! This made a super-fast homemade lunch! But what I like best is getting that fast casserole-y creaminess without a "cream of" soup!
- 2 diced cooked chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons flour (I use whole wheat)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon mustard (wet)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese (I like mozzarella the best, my husband cheddar)
- 2 (12 ounce) bags broccoli, steamed lightly
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir the flour, milk, chicken broth, mustard, and onion flakes in a glass baking dish.
- Microwave on HIGH for 4-6 minutes, stirring well every 2 minutes until the cream sauce is thick and bubbly.
- While cooking the cream sauce, steam the broccoli for about 4 minutes.
- Mix the cheese into the cream sauce.
- Put the broccoli and diced chicken in a 9 x 13 pan. Pour the cheese sauce over the top.
- Mix the cornflakes and parmesan together, and pour over the top.
- Broil until golden brown.