Recipe by yogiclarebear
This came from a food blog, http://chefinyou.com/- "Making Vegetarian Recipes Easy." The author says, "This is a very hearty soup, deliciously thick. If it is too thick for you, then add more water/milk to your preferred consistency and season it accordingly. Add lots of pepper and enjoy!"
- 2 large carrots, chopped into chunks (just scrub and clean the carrots. don't peel)
- 1 potato, chopped into chunks (with the skin on)
- 1 stalk celery (with leaves)
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1 onion, chopped roughly
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oil (optional)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 pinch saffron
- salt and pepper
- cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the carrots and potatoes for 2-4 minutes. They don’t have to become super soft - just soft enough to be able to process in your food processor.
- Warm the skim milk slightly and mix the saffron with it. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 1/4 tsp of oil (you can easily skip it.just add salt to the onions to help it sweat it out), add the onions, garlic,chopped celery and salt. Cook until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the skillet to a food processor, adding the steamed vegetables, and process until smooth.
- Transfer the puree to a saucepan, heat to a boil and then bring it down to a simmer. Add the saffron milk, stirring for a minute. Turn off heat.