1/1 Photo of Healthy Carrot Cake
Chris from Kansas's Note:
This is a really good lower-fat version of carrot cake. It is from a book called Dr. Cookie, which includes healthier versions of popular desserts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups carrots, shredded
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup raisins
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Coat a 9X13 pan with spray and dust lightly with flour.
- 3Tap out the excess flour.
- 4Whisk the flours with the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Beat the egg, egg whites, brown sugar and oil with an electric mixer until smooth.
- 7Add the carrots and beat for 1 minute.
- 8Add the buttermilk, pineapple and raisins and beat again.
- 9Add the flour mixture and beat until well mixed.
- 10Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 11Cool the cake in the pan set on a wire rack.
- 12Frost, if desired, when completely cool.
- 13Store the cake in the pan in the refrigerator.
- 14To make the frosting, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with an elecric mixer set at medium-high speed until smooth.
- 15Reduce the speed to medium-low and add the milk, a tsp.
- 16at a time until the frosting is at spreading consistency.
- 17Spread the frosting on the cooled, uncut cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.0
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 32.5 mg
- Sodium 393.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 52.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g