Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a really good lower-fat version of carrot cake. It is from a book called Dr. Cookie, which includes healthier versions of popular desserts.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups carrots, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a 9X13 pan with spray and dust lightly with flour.
- Tap out the excess flour.
- Whisk the flours with the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Set aside.
- Beat the egg, egg whites, brown sugar and oil with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the carrots and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the buttermilk, pineapple and raisins and beat again.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan set on a wire rack.
- Frost, if desired, when completely cool.
- Store the cake in the pan in the refrigerator.
- To make the frosting, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with an elecric mixer set at medium-high speed until smooth.
- Reduce the speed to medium-low and add the milk, a tsp.
- at a time until the frosting is at spreading consistency.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled, uncut cake.
This cake is ridiculously good. I put in applesauce instead of oil and i used 2 whole eggs. I had my doubts, but it's too good.
Very good. I deleted the raisins and reduced the brown sugar to 1 cup. Also, I found that only 1/2 c of powdered sugar was needed in the frosting. I also made these into cupcakes, rather than a whole cake. The recipe made 20, which with my modifications were approx. 185 calories each.
This was a very tasty, healthy carrot cake recipe! I cut the recipe in half and made cupcakes (like another reviewer) and I came out with 10 cupcakes. I left out the raisins and walnuts because they were for a work birthday with people who don't care for those two items. The cupcakes were moist and flavorful. I used white whole wheat flour and whole wheat flour. This was an easy and good recipe. I'd like to make it again.