Recipe by Ingrid Nicolich-Obregon
From my first cookbook - Healthy Meals in Minutes. Jorge made this and it came out great (of course) If you look at the "traditional" ingredients for this recipe - this version is totally guilt-free (only 157 calories per serving)
- 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- 118.29 ml honey
- 118.29 ml plain nonfat yogurt
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml carrots, grated
- 113.39 g low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 59.14 ml confectioners' sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 8 inch square cake pan with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and nutmeg. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat honey, yogurt, oil, egg whites, egg, and vanilla until blended. Fold in carrot. At low speed, beat in flour mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Place pan on a wire rack to cool slightly. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.
- To prepare frosting, at low speed, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting on top of cake. Garnish with nuts.