1/1 Photo of Healthy Caribbean Stew
1 hr 15 mins
This spicy bean stew reheats well so it can be made ahead and refrigerated until needed for mealtime. Add meat for an omni-version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups peeled & chunked sweet potatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 2 cups chunked green apples (unpeeled)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Place the water in a large pot. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 2Add sweet potatoes, tomato sauce, tomatoes, pineapple, apples, chilies and vegetable broth.
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add beans and seasonings, mix well and continue to cook over low heat for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Caribbean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.6
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 695.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 24.5 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: