Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a delicious sandwich made with whole wheat bread, but you can use pita or a tortilla wrap. Adapted from Country Living magazine.
- 1⁄2 lb yellow squash (about 2)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded (about 1/2 head)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened (NeufchÃ¢tel)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ounces alfalfa sprouts
- Prepare the squash:
- Slice yellow squash lengthwise to 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Make the slaw:
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, garlic, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, sugar(if using), and whisk until well blended. Add cabbage and toss until coated with dressing.
- Make the cheese spread:
- In a small bowl, combine goat cheese, cream cheese, and green onions with a spoon until thoroughly blended.
- Assemble the sandwiches:
- On a work surface, place 4 slices of bread and spread each with 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture. Pat the squash slices dry with a paper towel and place them, the avocado, tomato, squash, red-cabbage slaw, and sprouts in layers on the prepared bread. Top each sandwich with a slice of the remaining bread, cut each sandwich in half, and serve.
A great lunch for me. I made a couple of simple substitutions to use what I already had on hand. Instead of the purple cabbage only I used some coleslaw mix I already had. Instead of the cream cheese mixture I used vegetable garden cream cheese that I already had on hand. Great recipe, thanks for sharing!