Recipe by Enjolinfam
This is a very healthy version of Butternut Squash Soup and quite tasty. From "the Optimal Diet - The Official CHIP Cookbook." CHIP stands for Coronary Health Improvement Project, and their recipes are designed to help reverse and prevent obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and heart disease. It uses vegan chicken seasoning, but if you prefer you can use regular. I haven't tried it with vegetable seasoning as I don't know if it would taste as nice.
Top Review by FreedomPlease
Yummy! I used this as a base. I used 2 small sweet potatoes and 2 small carrots. I did not used the white potatoes. It was creamy and sweet. I plan to save this recipe and use it again.
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan chicken seasoning (you can use your own chicken seasoning, but I use McKay's vegan chicken seasoning)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup cashew pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- nutmeg, to garnish
- chives, chopped to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and pulp. Lay cut sides down in baking dish side by side. Add water until it covers 1/2 inch in the bottom of the dish.
- Cover dish. Bake at 350 F until squash is soft. Scoop sqash out using a spoon. Mash butternut squash, then set aside.
- In a large pot, saute onions in a little water until soft.
- Add to pot mock or regular chicken seasoning, 2 cups water, potato, and thyme. Cook until potato is soft.
- Place hot mixture into a blender, and blend until smooth. Return mixture to pot.
- Place cashews and 2 cups water into the blender. Blend until it becomes a very smooth milk.
- Add cashew milk and squash to pot. Add salt to taste.
- Heat over low temperature, stirring occasionally, until desired temperature is achieved. Garnish with nutmeg and chives and serve immediately.