Recipe by ChiefCook&BottleWasher
This is my own creation. I needed a muffin that was WHEAT, DAIRY & SUGAR FREE and that incorporated HEALTHY FATS, fruit, & nuts. DID YOU KNOW that Virgin Coconut Oil has no Trans-Fat and Promotes Heart Health and weight loss? DID YOU KNOW Buckwheat is a fruit seed and suitable for people sensitive to wheat or other grains? Add this to flaxseed which has an abundance of omega-3 and you have a very nutritious and good start to your day. Not to mention the nuts and apples! These have no added sugar or artificial sweeteners so the suggested spread of Coconut oil and Raw Honey makes a tasty and healthy final touch. (I used low fat almond milk which has zero grams of Trans Fat and Saturated Fat, but you can use any nut milk you like, this is also good with hazelnut milk or coconut milk-check labels for added sugar if you need less in your diet). I would love to hear of any alterations you have made that work! Thanks!
Top Review by jeniver
Thanks for the easy to follow recipe. The first time I made it, the taste was great but my muffins had a weird look. The next time, I added cocoa powder, coconut flakes and a few chocolate chips! Wonderful! Thanks again. I will now continue to enjoy GF Buckwheat muffins on a regular basis.
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 3⁄4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup almond milk
- 2 apples, peeled then grated
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the first 5 dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl with a fork gently beat the egg. Add the milk, apples, and coconut oil.
- Stir to moisten the wet ingredients into the dry. Do not over mix.
- Stir in the nuts. Spoon batter into lightly greased muffin pan, divide into of the 12 sections. Don't worry about filling the other 4 sections just leave empty.
- Bake at 350°F, for about 25 minutes or until done. Use a toothpick to test.
- When done, remove the muffins from the pan and put on a rack for 10 minutes then serve.
- While muffins are baking mix the coconut oil with the honey (you can use any honey you like). Coconut oil should be solid not melted, if your room is warm the coconut oil will not be solid. Put in the freezer or refrigerator for just a few minutes to create a solid oil if needed.
- Serve this tasty spread with warm muffins.
- Note: I use organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil that does not contain hexane for the most health benefits.
- WARNING! Honey is not for babies!
- Infants up to one year of age should not be fed raw honey.