Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Brown rice and milk, lightly sweetened, makes a good treat or fun breakfast. This makes a big batch, so my 3 kids and I can have it for breakfast a couple times, and also for snacks. This recipe is based on "rockin' rice pudding", but after all the changes, I needed to enter it on its own. Short grain brown rice is especially good for rice pudding, but we usually use long grain or basmati brown rice, as it's what we have on hand.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 2 1⁄3 cups boiling water
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Put 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice, salt, and boiling water into a greased baking dish with a lid, or cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 for 1 hours.
- This will make about 5 cups of cooked rice, so you can start here if you have cooked rice.
- Put rice, milk, sugar, and butter into a heavy bottomed pot. Simmer on medium low, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for an hour to 90 min, until rice pudding is thickened.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon, eat warm or cold.
- Dust with cinnamon sugar on top if you like it a little sweeter.