These are really tasty, although different from the usual marshmallow treats. They hold together very well, but remained a bit too sticky after cooling. Try keeping them in the refrigerator. I found this recipe at lalecheleague.org.
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups dry natural brown crispy rice cereal
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄2 cup currants (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened carob chips (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- Put oil in a large pot and heat.
- Add rice syrup and nut butter. Stir and heat until bubbles form.
- Turn off heat and add vanilla extract.
- Add cereal and mix well. Stir in any optional items and mix lightly.
- Put mixture into a 9 x 13 pan. With slightly wet hands, press mixture flat.
- Let set to room temperature. Slice and serve. Lasts a week in an airtight container.
This recipe was GREAT!! What a fantastic alternitive to a traditional treat. I can make these anytime and know my kids will BENEFIT from it. I substituted walnuts for peanuts because of allegies and it was still great!!