Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
High in fibre, low in saturated fat and refined sugar. If you prefer less sweetness, omit the topping. If you like a sweeter muffin, double it.
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk (or a combination of plain yogurt and milk)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen wild blueberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If making streusal topping, combine brown sugar, rolled oats and cinnamon and set aside.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, oil, vanilla and honey in a small mixing bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients until well combined. Add blueberries and stir to coat with flour.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir gently until just combined (batter will be lumpy).
- Immediately pour into greased or papered muffin tins. Sprinkle tops with streusal, if using.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
wonderful , healthy and easy recipe. Thanks Red Jenny, I used all of her optional spices and I believe they helped this recipe to be 5 stars. I did use splenda.