Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Delicious blueberry pancakes with the unique texture that cornmeal adds. A great new breakfast recipe!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal or 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated, plus
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries or 2 cups unsweetened frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolks and sugar, set aside.
- In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir until blended, then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, make 4 pancakes, cooking them about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Make 5 more batches of pancakes in the same fasion, adding 1/2 teaspoons of oil to the skillet before cooking each batch.