Recipe by Starfire (aka Wendy)
This is a realty way to get your devils food cake and eat it too!
Top Review by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
Moist and delicious! No one knew it was a "light" cake. I baked it in a bundt pan (about 50 minutes) and then drizzled it with a little confectioner's sugar, vanilla and milk combination. A huge hit! Thanks for sharing.
- vegetable oil cooking spray, 20 sprays
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- flour, for dusting pan
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk or 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup strong coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9x2-inch pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour; shake off excess. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda. Whisk in applesauce, buttermilk and vegetable oil.
- In a small saucepan, bring coffee to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir gently into batter.
- Mixture will be soupy. Pour into pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or let cool completely.
- Servings: 20.