Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a realty way to get your devils food cake and eat it too!
- vegetable oil cooking spray, 20 sprays
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- flour, for dusting pan
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk or 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup strong coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13x9x2-inch pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour; shake off excess. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking soda. Whisk in applesauce, buttermilk and vegetable oil.
- In a small saucepan, bring coffee to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir gently into batter.
- Mixture will be soupy. Pour into pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm or let cool completely.
- Servings: 20.
Moist and delicious! No one knew it was a "light" cake. I baked it in a bundt pan (about 50 minutes) and then drizzled it with a little confectioner's sugar, vanilla and milk combination. A huge hit! Thanks for sharing.
This is such a fantastic recipe. I've made this about a half dozen times already. It is moist, delicious, easy to make and extremely versatile. I've made a thin sheet cake using a jelly roll pan. I used a large biscuit cutter and made rounds to make beautiful individual cakes. I used fat free whipped cream for filling and as "icing" and made chocolate covered coffee beans for decoration. I'm making this for Father's Day and will drizzle with dark chocolate for an added touch. This cake is always a huge hit no matter what form it is presented.
Great recipe to enjoy chocolate cake without all the guilt. To me, the texture gave it away as being healthy, but it didn't stop me from enjoying it with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream. It was super simple and quick to make. Thanks for sharing the recipe!