Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Threw this together with what I had on hand. Am new to cooking so could use improvement, but still tasted good - especially in light of how simple and healthy.
- Put carrots in pot and cover with water (no oil or butter needed). Cover and cook on medium heat until carrots just start turning soft.
- Add onion and red bell pepper. Cook, uncovered, on low heat for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Throw in garlic and spinach. Continue stirring occasionally on low heat until spinach is mostly cooked down. Add ginger.
- Remove from heat once spinach is cooked. Strain vegetable mixture into bowl; reserve juice. Place vegetable mixture in microwave to keep warm.
- Place black beans and reserved vegetable juice in pot on stove. Cook, covered, on medium heat until black beans are no longer frozen. Add turmeric and cumin; stir and simmer briefly. Add milk, reduce heat, and stir. Mash some of the beans using fork or spoon, if desired. Cover and cook 1 minute.
- Return vegetable mixture to bean soup base in pot. Cook uncovered 1 minute longer, stirring occasionally.
- Serve. Try with hunk of whole wheat bread or some plain nonfat yogurt.
This is a good recipe, adding a can of Rotel adds punch and possibly fresh cilantro if you like it. Thanks!