Threw this together with what I had on hand. Am new to cooking so could use improvement, but still tasted good - especially in light of how simple and healthy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put carrots in pot and cover with water (no oil or butter needed). Cover and cook on medium heat until carrots just start turning soft.
- 2Add onion and red bell pepper. Cook, uncovered, on low heat for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Throw in garlic and spinach. Continue stirring occasionally on low heat until spinach is mostly cooked down. Add ginger.
- 4Remove from heat once spinach is cooked. Strain vegetable mixture into bowl; reserve juice. Place vegetable mixture in microwave to keep warm.
- 5Place black beans and reserved vegetable juice in pot on stove. Cook, covered, on medium heat until black beans are no longer frozen. Add turmeric and cumin; stir and simmer briefly. Add milk, reduce heat, and stir. Mash some of the beans using fork or spoon, if desired. Cover and cook 1 minute.
- 6Return vegetable mixture to bean soup base in pot. Cook uncovered 1 minute longer, stirring occasionally.
- 7Serve. Try with hunk of whole wheat bread or some plain nonfat yogurt.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Black Bean Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (533 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.7
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 17.0 mg
- Sodium 156.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 15.1 g