Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I created this last night and was shockingly good. Enjoy!
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 lbs jumbo shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup avocado, slices
- 1⁄2 cup scallion
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large soup pot, warm oil to medium heat. Add Onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add Bell pepper and cook for another 2 minutes. Add Garlic and 2 tomatoes, cook for 1-2 additional minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
- Add Chipotle Pepper, oregano, chili powder, and cumin (Note my measurements on the spices are estimates, use as much of the flavors as you like).
- Add 2 cans of the beans and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes uncovered.
- Using a hand-held blender, blend all ingredients while cooking in the pot. I like to make it fairly smooth, but some chunks are OK.
- Taste for seasoning -- add additional if appropriate for your taste.
- Add remaining beans and tomatoes. Simmer for another 10-20 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook for about 5-6 minutes, or until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup fresh cilantro.
- Serve in a bowl with remaining cilantro, avocado, scallions, and sour cream if desired.