Dre S's Note:
I always loved enchiladas and played around with this to make it healthy. It's super yummy and very versatile - you can mix it up to your taste. You can make it a day or two in advance and then just pop it in the oven, so it's become my favorite dish to make for new parents. One time saver is you can just substitute a box of mexican-style rice for the rice and seasonings - it will still be great. You can also add more or less cheese to taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies (do not drain)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Mexican-style corn (or frozen corn)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces canned enchilada sauce (green or red)
- fat free sour cream (optional)
- 1Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until tender.
- 2Add beans, tomatoes, corn, salsa and spices, stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- 3Stir in rice and heat 3 more minutes.
- 4Warm tortillas on a skillet or by microwaving for 20 seconds.
- 5Spoon about 1/6 of the filling into each tortilla (this will be somewhere around 3/4 cup), sprinkle with some cheddar cheese and roll up.
- 6Pour a little enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish and place tortillas in dish and cover completely with enchilada sauce.
- 7Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or you can refrigerate it for later.
- 8Garnish with some fat-free or lowfat sour cream and extra cheese if desired.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Black Bean Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.1
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 29.8 mg
- Sodium 1448.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 20.2 g