Prep 10 mins
Cook 53 mins
These are very versatile, feel free to mix and match flavours. Here are a few ideas: coffee liqueur/hazelnut/dark chocolate chips, cranberry/orange/pistachio, orange/walnut, date/hazelnut, pineapple/coconut, vanilla/white chocolate chips/Macadamia nuts, etc. etc. Cooling time is included in cooking time.
- 59.14 ml light olive oil
- 59.14-118.29 ml sugar (depending on chosen flavours and personal taste)
- 3.69 ml almond extract
- 2.46 ml lemon extract (optional)
- 6.16 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml dried cherries, chopped
- 236.59 ml slivered almonds, broken up
- Blend oil and sugar. Mix in extracts, lemon juice and zest; add eggs. Beat until creamy and light.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into liquids.
- Work in cherries and nuts by hand.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- On a lined baking sheet, form dough into two logs (12 x 2 in) - if dough is too sticky, wet hands with cold water.
- Bake 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool or 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 275°F.
- Cut logs diagonally into 3/4-inch think slices; lay on their sides on same baking sheet. Return to oven another 8-10 minutes, or until dry.
Easy to make and very versatile. Made them with dried cranberries, pineapple and apricots instead of the cherries and added extra lemon zest. They were gone in 24 hours. No one guessed they were made with whole wheat flour.