These are very versatile, feel free to mix and match flavours. Here are a few ideas: coffee liqueur/hazelnut/dark chocolate chips, cranberry/orange/pistachio, orange/walnut, date/hazelnut, pineapple/coconut, vanilla/white chocolate chips/Macadamia nuts, etc. etc. Cooling time is included in cooking time.
- 1⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar (depending on chosen flavours and personal taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1 cup slivered almonds, broken up
- Blend oil and sugar. Mix in extracts, lemon juice and zest; add eggs. Beat until creamy and light.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir into liquids.
- Work in cherries and nuts by hand.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- On a lined baking sheet, form dough into two logs (12 x 2 in) - if dough is too sticky, wet hands with cold water.
- Bake 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool or 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 275°F.
- Cut logs diagonally into 3/4-inch think slices; lay on their sides on same baking sheet. Return to oven another 8-10 minutes, or until dry.