Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mom used to give us decadent cinnamon-sprinkled toast, with butter or margarine to make the cinnamon-sugar stick. Now that I'm vegan and needed a butter alternative, I ended up creating this! Still has a dreamy flavor, but won't hurt you or the cows!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (use raisin bread for a special treat)
- 1 small banana
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (generous)
- Mash the banana (easiest with a fork in a shallow bowl) to make the luscious "banana butter". Toast the bread.
- In a jar, combine the flax, sugar and cinnamon and shake till well mixed. You may want to add more sugar- this combo had just the right sweetness for me.
- Spread some of the mashed banana on each slice of bread, and generously sprinkle each with flaxen-cinnamon sugar.
- Enjoy with a cold glass of rice or soy milk and a fruit bowl.
The "banana butter" is wonderful! MASH the banana, though, don't just slice it like I first tried to do! I also mixed the flax/cinnamon into the mashed banana & it was great. I served this on the "side" with my South Beach french toast (French Toast Ala South Beach) & it went perfectly. Thank you for sharing.
Loved it!!! You're awesome! :)
Made this for breakfast this morning, and my children loved it. This one will definitely be made again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!