1/8 Photos of Healthy Bean Soup With Kale
Barbara Steele's Note:
We've all heard how anti-oxidants fight cancer, save eyesight, and prevent clogged arteries. Turns out lutein, a delicious 7 mg dose of which is supplied with each serving of this recipe, is even more beneficial than beta carotene. It delays lung aging and combats arthritis to boot! Who knew improving your health could be so quick and easy, and taste so good? Try it -- you'll see! P.S. Since I felt this lacked enough elements to chew on, I've been adding canned, sliced carrots (fast, easy & healthy!) for quite a while, and thought I'd update the recipe. Also, sometimes I add another can of beans, for the same reason. Glad so many of you have been enjoying this. There's a container in my frig right now - yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups raw kale, chopped (be sure to remove the spiny sections, there won't be many, but those that remain will be tough)
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans, undrained, split
- 2 (15 ounce) cans sliced carrots, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- shredded parmesan cheese
- 1In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- 2Add garlic and onion; saute until soft and the onion is transparent.
- 3Wash the kale, leaving small droplets of water. Saute, stirring, until wilted and a lovely emerald green, about 15 minutes.
- 4Add 3 cups of the broth, reserving 1 cup, 2 cups of the beans, reserving 1 cup, all of the carrots, tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper.
- 5Simmer 5 minutes.
- 6In a blender or food processor, mix the reserved beans and broth until smooth.
- 7Stir into the soup to thicken it nicely.
- 8Simmer 15 more minutes.
- 9Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with chopped parsley and shredded parmesan.
- 10Serve with a nice loaf of crusty bread to soak up all the yummy broth!
- 11For Vegetarian use the vegetable broth.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Bean Soup With Kale
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.6
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 786.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 11.5 g