1/1 Photo of Healthy Bean Soup
1 hr 45 mins
Cookie in Ontario's Note:
Also called Heart Saving Soup. It has asparagus in it. Use white navy beans or kidney beans. Beans need to be soaked ahead of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups white beans or 2 cups kidney beans
- 8 cups water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 10 ounces tomato paste (2 little cans)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1Place the beans in a large saucepan, cover with water and leave to soak overnight. I let them soak 5 hours.
- 2Discard the soaking water, rinse the beans and place them in a large soup pot.
- 3Place the 8 cups water in the pot, bring the beans to a boil, put the lid on and reduce the heat to simmer.
- 4In a large sauce pan saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 3 minutes.
- 5Add the carrots, celery and asparagus.
- 6Saute until the mixture has cooked slightly, aprox 8 minutes.
- 7Add the vegetable mixture to the beans, then add all remaining ingreds except the fresh parsley.
- 8Simmer on low heat until the beans are soft, about 1 or 2 hours.
- 9Stir in the fresh parsley, cook another 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.4
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 701.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 9.4 g