Also called Heart Saving Soup. It has asparagus in it. Use white navy beans or kidney beans. Beans need to be soaked ahead of time.
- 2 cups white beans or 2 cups kidney beans
- 8 cups water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 10 ounces tomato paste (2 little cans)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Place the beans in a large saucepan, cover with water and leave to soak overnight. I let them soak 5 hours.
- Discard the soaking water, rinse the beans and place them in a large soup pot.
- Place the 8 cups water in the pot, bring the beans to a boil, put the lid on and reduce the heat to simmer.
- In a large sauce pan saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery and asparagus.
- Saute until the mixture has cooked slightly, aprox 8 minutes.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the beans, then add all remaining ingreds except the fresh parsley.
- Simmer on low heat until the beans are soft, about 1 or 2 hours.
- Stir in the fresh parsley, cook another 2 minutes.