Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Shockingly healthy, absolutely delicious, and easy too! Adapted from a recipe in 'Foods that Fight Disease'. Note: add more orange juice concentrate for more zing =]
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large banana
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Grease and flour 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, flaxseed, baking powder, and baking soda.
- in a small bowl, combine yogurt, egg, oil, vanilla, and orange juice concentrate.
- Mash banana and add to wet mixture, combining well.
- add wet ingrediants to dry (Dont over-mix!).
- pour batter into loaf pan.
- bake for 35 mins or until cooked through.
- upon choice, you can spread some additional orange juice concentrate on top of cooling loaf. (after you take it out of the oven).
i've been looking for something like this in a healthy recipe - this is getting there but if you want to make it actually healthy, scrap the white flour and sugar, replace with more flax, honey and olive or coconut oil for the canola. canola is not only not healthy, it is downright UNhealthy. anyway, made this with the above substitutions and it turned out great - and healthy.
This had a nice texture for being healthier. I found it to be pretty bland, though. Maybe using lemon-flavored yogurt, adding orange zest, and/or adding 1 Tbsp. minature chocolate chips might help.
I never would have thought of this recipe, but it was soo good! I've made it twice and it came out delicious both times! I perfer it without the concentrate on top, because if you have to keep the loaf for a longer period of time the top gets slightly sticky, though I really enjoyed the zing it added. I ended up choosing to add more concentrate to the batter, which was very yummy. It was devoured by the family.