Recipe by Mary Scheffert
I created this recipe in my continuing search for healthy, high-fiber recipes for my husband.
Top Review by Karamia
Very healthy bread. I tasted the oat bran a lot, so I'd reduce it to 1/4 cup next time. I'd also add some cinnamon to the batter for more flavor instead of just sprinkling on top. Also more sugar, up it to 1 cup since the bread was not too sweet. I only had 3 large bananas so the banana flavor was light. Baked up in less than 50 minutes. Great bread for the health conscious. Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 2 cups quick oats
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups mashed bananas (, about 4 or 5 medium size)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F; spray two loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, combine flours, oat bran, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nuts& dates; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and eggs.
- Stir in applesauce, bananas& milk; combine thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture; stir until blended.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pans.
- Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar; place in oven.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until done.