Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 6 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 9 pureed bananas
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Beat at low speed until well blended.
- Coat regular size loaf pans with butter flavoured cooking spray.
- Fill 2 loaf pans evenly and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry.
- Take bread out of pans and put on cooling rack or eat when hot.
I halved this recipe this morning to get rid of some overly ripe bananas. LOVELY! The texture was good, the taste was wonderful. Perfect for a toddler, 9 month old and a picky husband. I see no need to tell them it was whole wheat and good for them. Lol. I did put butter on the pan instead of the spray, but I'm not counting calories. :D Good recipe.
Delicious! Maybe it's because I am oven-less and used a convection oven but the ends cooked much faster than the middle. I would recommend making 3 or 4 loaves out of this recipe... it's quite a lot of batter. I left out the sugar entirely and did not replace it with anything. If you are used to sweetness in this sort of thing (which I definitely don't need or want) then you might need a little but it was very satisfying without. Also I used vanilla silk instead of the skim milk and vanilla, not preference just what i had on hand.
This is the BEST banana bread i've ever had!!! I cut recipe in half, used splenda instead of sugar and added cinnamon and baked in bundt pan for 40 min. I also added choc chips! mmmm.. This bread does not taste "healthy" .. it is so moist and flavorful! Next time I may try adding some nutmeg along with the cinnamon, for a little added flavor.. SUCH A DELICIOUS HEALTHY TREAT!!!!