Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My kids love banana bread but the traditional recipes have so much oil and sugar. This is a low sugar, no oil, whole wheat version our whole family loves!
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large mashed bananas (about 1.5c)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (or 1/2 c white sugar with 1 tbsp molassas)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries (optional)
- Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients separately.
- Mix wet and dry until just incorporated.
- Fold in optional 1/2 cup cranberries or raisins or nuts or chocolate chips.
- Pour into a generously greased and dusted loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 50 min - a toothpick inserted in center should come out clean (or make 2 smaller loaves and bake for 25 minutes).
- Wait 10 minutes before removing from pan and placing on a rack to cool.
I was pleasantly suprised by how this turned out. It was dense and moist, with the right amount of sweetness. Sprinked the pan and top with cinnamon sugar. I also added some Craisins I had, which my husband liked but my kids did not. I love the fact that I don't have to feel guilty making this while we are trying to eat more healthfully in our family. I am going to try it with baby food/applesauce in place of the bananas, too.
Terrific! I used Splenda Brown sugar(used 1/4C) and subbed mini-chocolate chips for the cranberries. I was really leery about the lack of fat in the recipe but it is wonderful! I used 2 8"x4" pans and baked for about 35-37 minutes--wonderful! I'll be using this recipe often--thank you!