Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is sweetened with maple syrup & made with whole wheat flour. It's very good! This bread needs to be started the night before.
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Mix the flour with the buttermilk in a medium bowl, cover, and let it sit out on the counter overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the flour and buttermilk mixture.
- Butter and flour a 9" x 5" loaf pan, and pour the mixture into the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I've been experimenting with grain soaking for awhile now and this was a recipe from 'Nourishing Traditions' that I've had on my must try list. It didn't go well for me. My batter seriously spilled over my 9X5 loaf pan and made a horrible mess. The outside of the bread cooked quickly while the center stayed almost liquid. I finally gave up on it. What we did eat may have had too healthy a taste for our palates. I do really believe in this method and will come back at a later time to try this again. Maybe the planets just weren't aligned the right way for me the other morning. Thanks for sharing. made for PAC Spring 08'