Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is easy, yummy and healthy.
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 5 over ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/ 350°F.
- Mix all wet ingredients together in one bowl (including bananas).
- Mix all dry ingredients together in another bowl.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Spray Butter Flavored PAM in small loaf pan.
- Fill loaf pan half way.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
i have made this 2 times now and had the same problem with both...not getting done all the way through...i think i will try it with 3 bananas in place of 5 next time...i did think it was bland the first time so i put raisons and vanilla in the second batch along with whole wheat flower ....the taste was better but still not done in the middle...good around the edges.
I thought this was a bit too bland. Maybe use regular, sweetened applesauce or add some splenda. And while mine did cook through all the way (in 35 minutes) it did not rise much and remained dense on the inside. I'm used to a lighter, more cake-like banana bread. Spreading pb or nutella on it made it much better, but then, that works for everything.
I tried this recipe for the first time yesterday & absolutely love it & will definitely make it again. It came out perfect. I read one of the comments about mushiness, however, I did not have that problem. The trick, I think, is to lightly fold in the wet ingredients into the dry & it should come out just fine. Enjoy!