1 hr 20 mins
This is delicious as well as healthy. Although you can use lean ground beef in the recipe, lean ground turkey works beautifully. Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese is optional but adds to the taste. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional) or 2 tablespoons margarine (optional)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chervil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1/4 cup wheat germ (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional) or 2 tablespoons romano cheese, grated (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Rinse eggplant and cut in half lengthwise.
- 3Remove pulp, leaving 1/2 inch of outer shell.
- 4Dice pulp and set in a bowl.
- 5Place butter or margarine, if used, in large, heavy skillet or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 6Add onion, mushrooms, seasonings, and meat.
- 7Saute, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until meat begins to brown.
- 8Stir in tomato paste, wheat germ if used, and eggplant pulp.
- 9Cook 5 minutes, or just until warm.
- 10Lightly spray an ovenproof dish large enough to hold two eggplant shells with vegetable oil.
- 11Spoon meat mixture into each eggplant shell and place in prepared dish. Bake 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- 12If desired, sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese on top of each eggplant half before serving. Then sprinkle chopped fresh parsley on top of each.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Baked Stuffed Eggplant
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.3
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 59.7 mg
- Sodium 85.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 15.2 g