Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I love this and my kids can't get enough. I was making traditional refried beans last night and had a momential inspiration of adding apple and my fave cheese, so I followed it. Healthy, no frying the beans, no oil at all, creamy and modern spin on a traditional dish! Great when you are limited on ingredients.So yummy!
- Soak your beans in water for 8 hours or boil for a few minutes and soak for an hour.
- After you are done soaking, boil again, making sure to add enough water to cook the beans for another hour.
- Chop the onion and add that and the italian seasoning while cooking the beans.
- Cook the beans, stirring occasionally, leave the water.
- When you have about 10 minutes left to cook it, chop the apple and add it to the beans (sounds weird but taste so good).
- After done cook, use a masher and mash the beans.
- Add white pepper to taste, 1 1/2 Tbsp butter and mash.
- Add a handful of cheese and mash (do this 2-4 times, depending on how much cheese you want and how creamy you want it).
- Note: Serving size is based on what it says on package, but depends how much you eat- for us, the serving size holds true. Dinner with another meal for leftovers. How awesome!