I whipped this up as I had a few pears and a few apples to use up before they went bad. I didn't add any egg or butter and it came out great. Everyone loved it, I hope you do too!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, Chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 3 medium apples, Peeled, Cored and Chopped
- 3 medium pears, Peeled Cored and Chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar, for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Spray 9 x 13 Glass Baking Dish with Pam.
- Put first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and use a whisk to mix together.
- Add milk and mix.
- Stir in Pecans, Apples and Pears.
- Pour into prepared 9 x 13 Baking Dish and spread out evenly.
- Using your fingers sprinkle Brown Sugar on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Test with toothpick to see if it is done.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes and then dust with powdered sugar.
Okay, looking at the ingredients, I wasn't expecting much. But, sweet tooth...pears to use...wanted something relatively healthy, y'know. This went together in a snap and came out quite nice, chock full of juicy fruit, barely bound together with a not-too-sweet, spicy cake. I have subbed Splenda for the sugar with no problems. Outstanding with tea, it's healthy enough for a portable breakfast or snack. Also works well in the lunchbox, since it doesn't smash easily. Thanks, Brian48195!
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good this turned out! We had such a lot of summer apples and pears which cannot be stored and DH really didn't want Himmel Und Erde (which we make with apples and pears) for the third time in row... So I looked for a quick and easy cake to use up both fruits. I used 1 1/4 cups buttermilk because that's what I had, and it worked great! One of the rare occasions I use normal wheat flour, maybe next time I'll try a gluten free flour mix. Thanks for posting this simple but really good recipe!