Recipe by theAmateurPastryChef
Mom's recipe slightly altered to be a little bit better for you and still taste just as good...
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour (can purchase at well stocked grocery stores or directly from King Arthur Flour Co)
- 1 (1/2 ounce) package instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar (if using sugar free soy milk, add one more tablespoon)
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening (Spectrum is a good brand)
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the vinegar with the soy milk and set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening.
- Make well in center and pour in soymilk and water and incorporate into mixture until dough forms.
- Gently knead dough for a couple of minutes until smooth.
- Roll out dough and cut circles. Fold circles in half and place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 F for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve with butter or Margarine (like Earth Balance) and jam and enjoy!