1 hr 20 mins
for the love of veggies's Note:
A hearty, filling lentil soup with carrots, celery, and red bell pepper. Looks as good as it tastes! This soup freezes very well. This soup can be made in the slowcooker or on the stovetop. See directions for variations.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups red lentils
- 4 quarts water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yukon gold potato, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1If making on the stovetop:.
- 2Boil lentils and bay leaf in water until lentils are soft.
- 3Heat oil on medium-high heat.
- 4Add garlic and saute until golden.
- 5Add onions, celery, and bell pepper. Saute until tender.
- 6Add onion/celery/bell pepper/garlic mixture to lentils and water.
- 7Add potato and carrot.
- 8Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 9Add chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes more.
- 10Garnish with chopped green onions and/or parmesan cheese, if desired.
- 11If making in the slowcooker:.
- 12Add lentils, bay leaf and water to slowcooker. Cover and turn on high while you prepare other ingredients.
- 13Complete steps 3-7 above.
- 14Lower setting on slowcooker to low and cook for 8 hours or keep on high and cook for 4 hours.
- 15One hour before done in slowcooker, complete steps 9 and 10 above.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy and Hearty Lentil Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (806 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.7
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1211.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 17.5 g