Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A hearty, filling lentil soup with carrots, celery, and red bell pepper. Looks as good as it tastes! This soup freezes very well. This soup can be made in the slowcooker or on the stovetop. See directions for variations.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 4 quarts water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yukon gold potato, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- If making on the stovetop:.
- Boil lentils and bay leaf in water until lentils are soft.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and saute until golden.
- Add onions, celery, and bell pepper. Saute until tender.
- Add onion/celery/bell pepper/garlic mixture to lentils and water.
- Add potato and carrot.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and/or parmesan cheese, if desired.
- If making in the slowcooker:.
- Add lentils, bay leaf and water to slowcooker. Cover and turn on high while you prepare other ingredients.
- Complete steps 3-7 above.
- Lower setting on slowcooker to low and cook for 8 hours or keep on high and cook for 4 hours.
- One hour before done in slowcooker, complete steps 9 and 10 above.