Recipe by Satyne
I found this recipe on a lentil packet, looks nice. Serves and cooking times are estimates.
Top Review by shanastraily_4586414
This was so tasty and easy. I sauteed the onion in the oil first, then added the ginger/garlic paste once they were starting to brown (then added the seeds). My 14 month old loved it too! Not too spicy for him like many of the curry recipes I've tried. Will definitely make frequently - and double the recipe. Didn't make much if eating as the main meal
- 1 cup red lentil
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds or 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 onion, sliced finely
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a saucepan and fry ginger and garlic paste for approx 2 minute, making sure not to brown the paste. Add hot water.
- Wash the lentils and put into the water. Add salt and tsp of turmeric. Bring to boil then lower heat and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Heat oil in another saucepan and fry onion till light brown. Add mustard and cumin seeds and fry till mustard seeds start popping (remove from heat immediately).
- Add onions and fried seed mixture to lentils, stir through.
- Serve with Basmati Rice.