Recipe by Heartsong
This is my standard broccoli cheese soup. My kids and friends love it. Healthy and delicious. I haven't had better out. I'm not saying I wouldn't like the taste with cream, but this is delicious and good for you.The amount of corn starch is approximate. Make the soup as thick as you like. Use flour if you are out of corn starch. I have done both. If you want to simmer some boneless, skinless chicken breasts with your vegetables, I have done that before when I was out of broth. Simmer them about 20 minutes after it has come to a boil. You don't have to puree the veggies. Dice the cooked chicken and add it in. It's delicious.You could also use chicken boullion. If you like a sharper cheese flavor, I have added a few cups of grated sharp cheese. We like it both ways.
- 3 (16 ounce) bags frozen broccoli florets, alternately
- 3 bunches broccoli, heads only
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 8 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 lbs Velveeta reduced fat cheese product, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 8 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer onion, carrots, and celery in broth for 15 minutes or until tender. Puree.
- Add broccoli heads or frozen broccoli, cover and cook 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Add 7 cups milk and return to boil and reduce to simmer. Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup milk or so, and, while stirring, return to simmer.
- Repeat with extra corn starch if you want soup thicker.
- Add velveeta. Stir until melted.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with crusty, homeade bread!