Recipe by londongavchick
A recipe that I obtained from allhomemadecookies.com and modified for my own tastes and added Splenda instead of sugar. The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup almond extract or almond liqueur but as I didn't have almond extract or amaretto I changed to nonfat vanilla soymilk and they turned out great.
Top Review by Salazar
I made mine with pisatchios and dried cranberries instead of almond. The dough was a little too sticky, so maybe next time I'll cut back on the liquid. Otherwise it's great. Thanks for the recipe!
- 3⁄4 cup whole raw almonds
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or All Purpose flour)
- 2⁄3 cup Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute or 3⁄4 cup egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat vanilla soymilk
- 1 orange, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Put almonds in a shallow pan. Toast at 350°F for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 300°F Cool almonds and chop coarsely or pulse in food processor.
- Mix flour, Splenda, baking soda and nuts in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat remaining ingredients for about one minute. Add flour mixture into liquid.
- Cut dough in half. On a baking sheet with parchment paper, pat dough into two logs- 1/2" thick x 1 1/2" wide x 12" long and place 2 " apart.
- Bake at 300°F for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a rack for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Cut loaves at a 45 degree angle, 1/2" thick with a serrated knife.
- Lay slices flat on baking sheet and bake an additional 15 minutes, turning once. Store in an airtight container.