Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Live Better America recipe.. .that I modified to my liking. The original recipe called for making a hummus out of 3/4 cup bean, 1.5 tsp spicy brown mustard and 1/4 tsp salad and then spread the hummus inside of the pita. .however I don't every have luck with spreading anything in a pita, so I just threw the beans in with the veggies and it turned out wonderful that way. Last time I made this I also added some leftover pencil thin asparagus which was a great addition.
- 1 cup chopped summer squash, and or zucchini
- 3⁄4 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (2/3 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced button mushroom (optional)
- 2 tablespoons corn kernels (canned or frozen is fine)
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives or 2 tablespoons ripe olives
- 2 chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley (basil would be great too) or 2 tablespoons regular parsley (basil would be great too)
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing (I prefer a balsamic vinaigrette)
- 3⁄4 cup cooked cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 pita pockets
- In a medium bowl, combine squash, broccoli, tomatoes, olives, and parsley; toss with 2 tablespoons salad dressing.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours to 2 days!
- Pour another 2 T of dressing over the salad just prior to placing salad in the pita pockets.