This is an adaptation of a recipe found at eatbetteramerica.com. I plan to make it tonight, so if this recipe goes public you'll know it was a good experience :).
- 3⁄4 lb extra lean ground beef (at least 90%)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 12 cups romaine lettuce
- 15 ounces pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 medium green onions, sliced (3 tablespoons)
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (3 oz)
- 3⁄4 cup salsa (any variety)
- 3 ounces tortilla chips
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in water, chili powder, cumin and ground red pepper; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook about 5 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated.
- 2. Divide lettuce among 6 salad plates; top each with meat mixture and remaining ingredients except chips. Arrange chips around salad. Serve immediately.
- 3. If you are in a hurry you can just combine all but the chips in a large bowl and serve with chips on the side.