Recipe by JanuaryBride
Sounds divine!!! This would be a fabulous dish for a brunch; in place of the raspberries, you can certainly use Strawberries and use Strawberry cream cheese. Make ahead: Prepare the French toast up to 24 hours ahead of time. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until time to bake. To bake the French toast, remove plastic wrap; cover with foil and bake as directed. Recipe from Eat Better America.
Top Review by katew
Fabulous dessert although I did not make the sauce !! I did double the recipe, using real eggs and that worked out really well. I mixed my organic red currant jam into the cream cheese as a time saving method and then layered it between the bread. I left it soaking while I went to walk the dogs then came back and put it in the oven. We all loved this and could hardly stop eating it. Made for ZWT8.
- soft French bread (about 18 inches long)
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 cup fat-free fat-free liquid egg product
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar (may sub Splenda)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (may sub Splenda)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut bread into 24 (3/4-inch-thick) slices. Spread 12 slices with cream cheese.
- Spread remaining bread slices with preserves; place over cream cheese to make 12 sandwiches.
- Arrange in baking dish, pressing together if necessary to fit.
- In medium bowl, beat egg product, milk, 1 tablespoon sugar and the salt with wire whisk until blended. Pour over bread in dish. Let stand 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Heat oven to 400°F Cover dish with foil; bake 10 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix sauce ingredients until blended. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil 30 seconds to 1 minute or just until thickened.
- Place strainer over medium bowl; pour raspberry mixture into strainer. Press mixture with back of spoon through strainer to remove seeds; discard seeds.
- Serve sauce over French toast.