Recipe by JanuaryBride
My hubby loves these, but I have done my best to make them a bit more healthy with maintaining that yumminess of the traditional party pizza. What's even better is this recipe freezes well and you can eat half now and pull half out later when you get unexpected guests and need a quick appetizer!!! Note that the calorie count is not correct, as the website does not recognize chicken sausage nor the light Velveeta.
- 1 lb chicken Italian sausage
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 lb processed cheese (use Light reduced fat Velveeta)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (I use 2T)
- 1 -2 tablespoon ketchup (I use 2T)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 dashes hot sauce (optional)
- cocktail rye bread (I prefer pumpernickel but it's up to you)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a medium baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange cocktail rye bread slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place ground sausage in a skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain (if necessary - mine had no fat) and return to pan.
- Dump in the mushrooms, Worcestershire, ketchup, oregano, garlic powder, hot sauce and the cubed cheese; decrease heat to medium and stir until melted.
- Place approximately 1.5 tablespoons of the mixture on each slice of cocktail bread and spread slightly (but don't put it all the way to the edge to avoid runoff).
- Bake in the preheated oven 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp.
- Feel free to freeze these AFTER baking for serving later - they are awesome heated from the freezer too!