Recipe by Geniale Genie
These are high in fiber, iron, & protein as well as low in sugar & fat... but they still taste great!!!
- 2 cups zucchini, seeded and grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons stevia powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 prunes, pitted & finely chopped (see note below)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raw cocoa nibs (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Line a colander with several layers of paper towels. Place zucchini on top and cover with several more layers of paper towels. Add weight and set aside at least 15 minutes, pressing occasionally to remove water.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, stevia, baking soda, spices, prunes, walnuts, and cocoa nibs; add zucchini and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the molasses with the applesauce and the eggs.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients; stir until uniformly combined.
- Pour into greased loaf pans and bake 50-55 minutes OR into 18 lined muffin tins and bake 25-30 minutes.
- NOTE: When chopping prunes, I usually add a spoonful of the dry ingredients and toss to coat. This prevents the date pieces from sticking together. You can also periodically dunk your knife in the flour.