Recipe by annlouise
Normally my family balks at healthy recipes, but my husband was coming back for more of these, and today finished them off (so much for my evening dessert!). I'm posting this to keep handy for myself.
Top Review by CrazyKat
I am reviewing not the whole bar but just the crust, I used Recipe #66424 for the topping which turned out well but wanted a healthier crust so I tried this. The almonds make this crust fantastic! It is the perfect pair with lemon.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄4 cup sugar or 1⁄4 cup sucanat
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup whole almond
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon, rind of
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F For base: Chop almonds very fine.
- Mix dry ingredients, and cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Press into 8x8 pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 18 minutes.
- NOTE: I might add more butter next time I do this; the base was a bit too crumbly.
- For topping: Beat all ingredients on high for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Pour over baked base; bake 20 minutes; cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar.