Recipe by Fuzzy's Finds
This is based on the divine "Why I Joined Zaar" carrot cake by Lennie, but with many modifications to make it a bit healthier for my family. We use this as a breakfast muffin, but I also get raves when I frost them and serve them as dessert.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or additional all-purpose can be used)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded (just 2 cups works too)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple (I blend this slightly to further break it up)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; grease and flour a 9x13 pan, bundt pan, or about 17 cupcakes.
- 2. Mix powders (except sugar) in a large bowl; make a well in the center.
- 3. In separate bowl, mix eggs, liquids, and sugar; pour into the well of the powder bowl and mix with a large spoon until smooth.
- 4. Stir in carrots, coconut, walnuts, and pineapple. Pour into pan or in 1/2 cup increments for cupcakes- batter does not rise all that much.
- 5. Bake (about 45 minutes for a 9x13 pan, or about 17 minutes for cupcakes). Test for doneness with a toothpick or knife before removing from oven.
- 6. Optional cream cheese frosting: 8 oz cream cheese, 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. (Wow. The frosting keeps a long time in the fridge as well.)
- Enjoy! I freeze these individually wrapped in saran wrap (unfrosted) and stored in freezer bags-- mostly to keep us from eating them nonstop when they're fresh. Yes, they really are that good.