This is an adaptation of Sour Cream Banana Bread which I posted, then found out it was a duplicate. The difference is you use yogurt instead of sour cream. You may use plain, or be adventurous and try vanilla, lemon, or your choice of flavors! Or go ahead and use sour cream if you wish. I even used part mayonnaise once in a pinch. For the nuts, use whatever nuts you wish. So here is the recipe,I hope you enjoy! I used to make this for the Colonial Pines Inn in Highlands, NC. It was always well received, and the customers could buy a loaf to take home, which they frequently did!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (you may substitute half applesauce to make it healthier!) or 1⁄2 cup butter (you may substitute half applesauce to make it healthier!)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup white flour (or try oat flour)
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour (or use all white flour if you wish)
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ (optional)
- 1 tablespoon wheat bran or 1 tablespoon oat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2-3)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Grease one 5x9-inch loaf pan, or use 3 mini loaf pans. Some people even double the recipe and bake it in a bundt pan. Spray with cooking spray to coat pans.
- Cream margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients, then mashed bananas, nuts, and yogurt or sour cream. Add chocolate chips, if using. Mix well.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour. If using mini loaf pans, cook for about 45 minutes. Enjoy!