Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I stole this recipe directly from "Eat Better America." It is pretty easy and yummy comfort food but a little better for you than the original. I know this kind of takes away from the "healthy" aspect but I like to make it with potato chips on the top rather than the crackers. Hope you like it!
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked whole-grain pasta (8 oz)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) container reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (5 ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 12 stone-ground wheat crackers, coarsely crushed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish or 3-quart casserole with cooking spray. Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting salt; drain.
- 2. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and garlic; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in soup, sour cream, cream cheese, milk and pepper until well blended. Stir in tuna, pasta and Cheddar cheese. Spoon into baking dish; spread evenly. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and crushed crackers.
- 4. Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes or top is golden brown and mixture is bubbly.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Increase fat-free (skim) milk to 1 cup.